Saturday, August 25, 2007

Yard Work

First, how do you like the flags? They're a bit too in-your-face, I know, but I wanted to get to this post so that's how they'll be for now.

We had a St. Louis summer wind storm again yesterday. It seems like we're having a lot more of these recently. One knocked out our power a week ago Monday as well. And last year you probably heard that over half a million residences had their power knocked out just as we entered a heat wave with temperatures at 100.

This year, we've been having temperatures from 95-105 for the past two or three weeks. So yesterday, while I was at work, Isabelle called and said that a tree had come down on our fence. We watched outside as the sky got black, and the centerfield giant video screen at Busch Stadium lost its feed and provided a bizarre green source of light in the dark skies.

This provided the impetus we needed to buy a chain saw last night at our neighborhood Sears. So this morning I spent three or so hours clearing the mess. And I didn't injure myself. I sure could have, but I guess my combination of standing in the V of the tree ready to lean back, and poking my head, shoulders, and arms through the hole in the fence were a good enough strategy.

No comments: