Saturday, June 7, 2008

Whistler's Mother's Son

Doesn't everyone have some superhero quality? I'm not that tall, or that strong, or that fast, but there is something at which I am unsurpassed as far as I know. So that makes it rather unofficial, I realize, but still...

The other night I stopped by the cleaners' to pick up my shirts and pants. I wear stuff over and over in the winter time, but with Chloe around they get stinky for reasons that aren't directly my fault, but anyway...

I stepped up to the counter, and the lady behind it, exclaimed, "Whose are these?" and pointed at a handful of freshly cleaned clothes on hangers sitting on the rack right there. "They must be hers!" she continued, as she gestured towards a car that was backing out of the parking space directly in front of the door, windows up (as far as I could tell).

I sprung into action. I walked out the front door, and, as she had just shifted the car out of reverse and into drive, I whistled. Twice. Loud. She looked at me, and I pointed at her clothes, and she smiled, nodded and parked.

"Thanks," she said sheepishly as she walked in and got her clothes. "No problem," I replied. Later the cleaning store lady thanked me again. "I sure can't whistle like that," she said. No she can't. :-)

No comments: