Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In Guangzhou

Well, here we are. Everything has gone pretty much as planned. I arrived, made it through customs, collected my bags, got some yuan at the Citibank ATM I spotted, and found the taxi stand outside the international terminal at the airport. I was able to communicate with the driver just enough to get him to take me to the Guangzhou Hotel in Haizhu Sqaure. It was at this point I discovered what seems to be really valuable in Guangzhou: change for a 100-yuan bill. I got 1000 yuan (~$145), and it came out all in 100 yuan bills. When the cab fare turned out to be 110 yuan and I gave him 200 yuan, we appeared to be at an impasse. The driver was carrying on and pulling small yuan bills out from anywhere he could find them, but it didn't look like he was going to come up with 90 yuan. So, I offered him $1 rather than the second 100-yuan bill. That is worth almost 10 yuan and he took it.

I got my hotel room, had to change rooms because they gave me one with two single beds, started charging all my dead or dying portable devices, and laid down for a ninety minute nap until it was time to return to the airport and pick up Isabelle. I went back downstairs, caught a cab, and was back on my way to the airport. On the way, the driver had to pay a toll, and he got into a five minute argument when he tried to pay it with a 100-yuan bill. They were really going at it so I leaned over in the back seat and showed my perturned pale face to the toll both operator, a young lady, and that seemed to sway her and we were on the road again. We made it back to the airport. This time the cab fare was 99 yuan. Whew! I made sure to get my single yuan bill in change.

I found my way to the exit area outside of baggage claim and customs where Isabelle should have been walking out. Her flight had disppeared off the arrival screen and I was getting nervous, but then she appeared. What a sight for sore eyes.

We got back in line for a taxi. This time some rogue driver came up and asked us where we wanted to go, and offered to take us there for 200 yuan. It was a good thing I had already been around the block. So we waited for an authorized cab. This time, we could not get the driver to understand that we wanted to go to Guangzhou Hotel in Haizhu Square. We wound up calling our contact here, Kiki, and she was able to get the message across to the driver. If there was ever a time to pay for a little international roaming, that was it.

I got caught up with my bride and gave her the grand tour from the back of that taxi, and managed to recognize some of what we passed, and we arrived at the hotel. This time, the meter read 86, and so I hoped with whatever tax had been getting added that 100-yuan would cover it. The driver started squabbling in Chinese and I could tell it wasn't enough, and then he held up one finger. Good answer! I passed him what change I had, which was the lone yuan from the ride back to the airport.

So, by now we're getting what we came for. It is good to be back together!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Sounds like quite a trip so far!